Comfort food is a term used to describe food that provides a sense of emotional comfort. This type of food is usually high in calories and carbohydrates, and is often associated with nostalgia. While comfort food can be unhealthy, it is possible to make healthy comfort food recipes that are just as satisfying. These recipes are full of nutritious ingredients that will keep you happy and healthy.
Healthy Comfort Food Recipes
One of the best things about healthy eating is that you can still enjoy comfort food recipes. These dishes are typically high in unhealthy fats and sugars, but with a few simple swaps, you can make them much healthier. Here are a few of our favorite comfort food recipes made healthy.
1. Spaghetti and Meatballs: This classic dish can be made healthier by using lean ground beef and whole wheat pasta. You can also make your own meatballs using lean ground turkey or chicken.
2. Mac and Cheese: This popular dish can be made with whole grain macaroni and reduced-fat cheese. You can also add in some vegetables, like broccoli or squash, to increase the nutritional value.
3. Shepherd’s Pie: This dish is typically high in fat and calories, but it can be made much healthier by using lean ground beef and mashed potatoes. You can also add in some vegetables for added nutrients.
4. Chicken Pot Pie: This dish is a great way to use up leftover chicken. You can make it healthier by using whole grain pastry dough and low-fat milk.
5. Pizza: You can make pizza healthier by using whole grain crusts and low-fat cheese. You can also add in lots of vegetables, like peppers, onions, and mushrooms.